At Takari Primary School, students learn Italian as a second language from middle to upper primary for 60 minutes per week. Our cultural program is based on The Western Australian Curriculum for Languages, which has two Strands: Communicating and Understanding.
The aims of the Languages Curriculum is to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to ensure that students:
- communicate in the target language
- extend their literacy repertoires
- understand language, culture, learning and their relationship, and thereby develop an intercultural capability in communication
- develop an understanding of an respect for diversity and difference, and an openness to different experiences and perspectives
- develop an understanding of how culture shapes worldviews and extend their understanding of themselves, their own heritage, values culture and identity
- strengthen their intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities, and enhance their creative and critical skills
- understand themselves as communicators.
During Italian lessons students are immersed in Italian through classroom instructions, viewing and listening activities and reading stories which reinforces students’ comprehension of the language and confidence. Students also participate in a variety of activities and interactive tasks including singing and actions, role-plays, games and projects. Computers and iPads are used for listening exercises, speaking tasks and games. Students are encouraged to take risks in speaking the Italian as well as coach and praise each other.
English literacy is reinforced when learning Italian grammar and maths concepts are also revised during relevant topics. Other General and Cross Curriculum priorities are also incorporated into Italian programs.
Practise is key in learning a language!! Here are some links and Apps your child could utilise at home.
LANGUAGES ONLINE: you can find games under the ‘’Interactive Tasks”
• Molto Bene